Thursday, April 24, 2014

On Easter Dresses: or, Why Do We Tear Each Other Down When We Could Build Each Other Up Instead?

When I was a very young mom, with no car and few social skills, all the women I knew were either single college students or the wives of my only-just-former college professors and had busy schedules and a million children. As a result, I was alone, a lot. My husband had two jobs and was trying to finish college himself, so he had only so much to give me, and my baby was All Things Miraculous, but even she couldn't talk in full sentences until she was 18 months old, plus she is an introvert. She didn't like even mamma getting all up in her space.

So I learned how to sew.





It was an uphill road. Being the clever person that I am, I assumed I knew better than the pattern designers, mostly because I didn't acknowledge things like grain lines, and my early efforts were mostly Lessons Learned The Hard Way, and not actual usable pieces of clothing. But because I was lonely, bored and desperate, I kept at it. I probably learned twenty or so lessons The Hard Way before I produced a single thing I could use or wear.

One of the things I have continually dedicated myself to over the years is the creation of Easter Dresses. I love Easter, and all the things it promises. I didn't have the budget to make it more special than Christmas in the same manner as Christmas, so I had to get creative (my specialty!) and one of the ways was to make matching dresses for all the girls, beginning with my first and myself. (I stopped making dresses for myself after two, though.)

Easter Skirts
As my skills developed, the dresses got nicer and nicer. My adorable three little girls all had completely different coloring - a blond with grey eyes, a redhead and all that that entails, and a dark brunette with alabaster skin. My approach was to find the same print in different colors, and make dresses from the same pattern. In later years, when they started to have vastly differing tastes in clothing, I went exactly the other way, and started choosing a color palette, and making them totally different styles of dress. But I kept it up, year after year, even if it meant doing everything during Holy Week. It is a project that means a lot to me.

Well, one year my ever-expanding repertoire of skillz reached the stage of including smocking, thanks to one of my crafting gurus - Maureen, who also helped teach me to quilt and has inspired me in so many other ways. I was pregnant and feeling sick during Lent, so I spent many hours curled up in my chair, hand-smocking some muslin panels. It's probably the earliest I ever started on dresses, and it took a lot of time, but the results were deeply satisfying, and I dressed them in t heir smocked dresses whenever I had an excuse.

One day I took them to the library, because our wonderful dear children's librarian had asked me specifically to show her my Easter Dresses. In we filed, splendidly arrayed in smocked dresses and little white gloves and straw hats with matching ribbons. (Hey, when you go to that much trouble, you take it all the way, right?) It was Story Time Day, so a lot of other moms were there, and one said to me "Please don't tell me you smocked those dresses by hand." So proud of myself, I told her that I did.



She said "I hate you."




Looking back on it, I know why she said it, and she meant to be funny, I'm sure. She was tired, she had that difficult blend of older children that keep you running and tiny babies that keep you up at night, and she is also a woman that loves beautiful things - she grows a lovely garden in the spring - and not enough time to fulfill that love. She didn't know what I gave up to make those dresses, because it's not like I go around showing people pictures of my mountain of laundry or the unswept kitchen or the uncategorized piles of papers and books... I sacrificed to make this a priority. I knew she didn't mean it. But wow, did it hurt. In fact, I'm sure she's forgotten the incident completely. (Hey, it might be you!)




The Thing is, just as we don't see those background sacrifices, that different ordering of priorities, we also don't see what kind of power our words can have. I carried that "I hate you" around for a long time in my heart, believing that I must have done something wrong, that my creative drive was somehow blameworthy because of the things I let go. I often lock myself into a place where I'm "not allowed" to make anything or buy anything until I've done X amount of housework. It never works. In fact, one time I actually got my entire house clean AT THE SAME TIME but still didn't sew because of the guilt block. Every time I sat down to make something, I felt badly. That "I hate you" became the Voice of Bob. He was right on top of that one. Alongside "You never finish what you start," it's one of my most deeply rooted Bobisms.


I'm working on it, though. I'm learning to let myself be, to recognize what people mean when they say things like that. And I'm trying to be very, very careful about what I say when I wish I could do what someone else can do.





My beautiful Audrey, recycling dresses from
last year. This year, I actually DIDN'T MAKE ANY,
and my lovely Helen wore this dress.




6 comments:

  1. ...we Christians should try to 'speak life' to everyone we run across...for her to say 'I hate you' (haha) instead of 'wow! how beautiful!' is just unkind. One of my favorite priests, Fr Gus from Franciscan U of blessed memory would say, "negative humor is from hell....keep it there" when confronted with sarcasm.
    and all of those dresses are beautiful
    Have you ever taken a formal sewing class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made Easter dresses for 3 girls for the first time and I think I've taken to sewing the same way you recount here. After just trying to do it (how hard can a pillowcase dress be?) and being unhappy with the results, I look up what more experienced persons do and produce one halfway decent dress out of 3, but my Bob is sort of disgusted with the whole thing and mentally reacts like Captain VonTrapp in the movie does with the curtain clothes. Everything is a matter of what you prioritize though. Generally we look at those moms who do that one thing we always wish we did and think they are SuperMom, this being who does all we do and also does X. Fact is she does not do everything we do, but we don't see that. Some Moms really go the dometic Church route, some are like the worlds greatest and funnest kindergarten teacher with regards to kiddie crafts and activities, some are great cooks or seamstresses or whatever. Each has areas that need improvement and things they do really well that we envy. But you are right that no one sees the sacrifices. We need to learn to appreciate what we do well and be patient with ourselves. Somethings we really can work on, and others things we need to be at peace with letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you are so right. I will freely admit to indulging in negative humor, especially "trash-talking." My competitive streak is hard to tame, though I have been trying harder.

    And I think everyone has something to teach us. Every friendship, every encounter, gives us something we didn't have before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that a simple, heartfelt compliment would have gone a long way. I can keep myself up nights thinking of things I've said that were meant to be funny (and in fact, were not), but it doesn't have to be that way. We can take a story like this one, remember it, and not perpetuate it. I think of some shampoo commercial from the 1980s where the model said, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful." My take-away from that was, "Why would anyone aspire to look a certain way only to bring on the hatred of other people?" I was genuinely befuddled.

    By the way, you have persisted in teaching yourself to learn things, and have learned them with much trial, error, trial, and so on until you've had success. Something really neat that I think you have is a spacial awareness whereby you can take 2-D objects (like clothing patterns) and rotate them in your imagination to make them 3-D.

    I salute your Smocking Skills. I embroider a double-herringbone stitch as a lattice-band in homage to smocking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! If you came here from facebook, I just want to let you know that as much as I love comments on facebook, I like to see them actually show up on my blog even more. So if you have a comment to leave, consider leaving it here instead. Thanks!

All comments are subject to my approval. Comment moderation is turned on for posts older than 2 weeks, so they may take time to show up.