Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sunday Inspiration (In Which I Send You To Someone Else's Article)

It's Sunday, and let me tell you, I take my Day of Rest seriously. So instead of writing my own thoughts, I'm going to send you to this article instead, which resonated so deeply with my thoughts and experience that it could have come straight from my own head, except that my thoughts aren't that organized.

It's about body image, being fat, and thinking you're worthless for something not essential to yourself (something I struggle with). When I was a kid, I was told I was "Ruben-esque," "Edwardian," or even "voluptuous" (don't tell my mom about that one). I've been actually complimented on my womanly physique, by people who really meant it. But it always rang in my head as mere euphemisms for Fat.

But now I realize something. Ever hear the word "dysphemism?" It's one of my favorite words - it's a mean way of saying something that isn't bad, just as a euphemism is a nice way of saying something unpleasant. A racial slur is a kind of dysphemism. And what I realize now is that "Fat" is just a dysphemism for... all those nice (and factual) descriptions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog! If you came here from facebook, I just want to let you know that as much as I love comments on facebook, I like to see them actually show up on my blog even more. So if you have a comment to leave, consider leaving it here instead. Thanks!

All comments are subject to my approval. Comment moderation is turned on for posts older than 2 weeks, so they may take time to show up.