Tuesday, March 18, 2014

About Knitting

Knitting is the newest tool in my beauty box. I tried when I was a kid, but my work kept getting wider and wider as I went. It wasn't until I was teaching my own child how to knit with rainbow variegated yarn that I saw where I had been picking up stitches - there, right in the middle of my yellow stitches, was a loop from the purple row below! Now I had the Key!

It was still a while before I realized the versatility of my newfound skill. It could be functional:

(but really, really boring to make - 
those last hundred hours couldn't have gotten any slower. 
I still can't believe I finished the whole thing!)


It could be whimsical:

(that's a pig.)

It could be cosy and comfortable, yet decorative and full of flair:
(I haven't yet made the match to this, so you only get to see one.)



Depending on what you choose to make, it can be meditative, engaging, challenging or consuming. It's handily portable. Hand knit items make great gifts. Beautiful yarn feels wonderful in your hands. You can work a bit at a time. And you're spared the crocheter's constant agony of people asking "What are you knitting?"

I use Knitter's Pride "Dreamz" polished wood needles (hey, I didn't name them), because they feel really nice, and stay put in my work, unlike aluminum needles. Also unlike aluminum, they don't have an irritating clicky noise - I think of aluminum as the Plastic of Metals. Ew. Using circular needles keeps me secure in the knowledge that it will be really, really hard for curious little fingers to pull the needles out of my work and ruin everything.

These days, besides a small piglet-in-process that I carry in my purse all the time, I am busily exploring a new dimension of knitting - airy soft and whispery delicate:


This is a lace stole from this book, which I've had for years and years and always wanted to try. The yarn is a mohair/silk blend - it's very hairy - with a bit of silvery sparkle just for fun.


So far, I've made about seven major errors. I recount at the end of every other row, and I've gone back and unpicked a few times (the yarn is too hairy to rip back, so lifelines are useless), but mostly I just mark the spot and correct on the next row. And you know what? It Doesn't Show At All.



5 comments:

  1. Knitting is such a blessing, and the possibilities are ENDLESS! Your stole is gorgeous, and you're right, I can't see ANY flaws! Fixing lace to look good is definitely a skill! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, this reminds me how much I used to love to knit before Susi came along. I love your soft and air lace stole. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I aspire to socks, and have tried four or five times. Next time, I'll have a sock-expert nearby. That lacy pattern was akin to the one I knit for my daughter's baptismal gown (finished on the morning of the baptism). It took 2 years to make, and 30 minutes to wear! The fruit and veggie caps are fun to make, too. I'm making an eggplant hat for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Socks are fun, but pairs of socks feel like a drag to me. If i could just get by knitting single socks forever, I think I'd be happy. Also, I now need an eggplant hat pattern. That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! If you came here from facebook, I just want to let you know that as much as I love comments on facebook, I like to see them actually show up on my blog even more. So if you have a comment to leave, consider leaving it here instead. Thanks!

All comments are subject to my approval. Comment moderation is turned on for posts older than 2 weeks, so they may take time to show up.